Noise Cancelling Headphones For Misophonia
All noise cancelling headphones are not created equal. If you want to see the real benefit noise cancelling headphones have to offer, you need to try the best. Traditionally, noise cancelling headphones try to eliminate steady background noise such as the air conditioner fan or the roar in an airplane. But with misophonia, you need to have single occurrence sounds blocked. Starting with the Bose QC20, Bose headphones try to block single occurrence sounds, such as speech or chewing. I tried a pair of Beats headphones that were owned by a client, and I could not tell the difference for a single “thud” sound with noise cancelling on and off. So beware. We have also heard great praise for Apple Airpods Pro.
Test your headphones and see. Before you commit to keeping your purchase, have someone talk to you with your headphones on (no music or noise playing) and the noise cancelling off. Then turn on the noise cancelling and see the difference. It should be surprisingly different.
The Bose QC20 (wired) and QC30 (Bluetooth) are earbud style. They seal against the ear canal and so do not create pain in the ear canal from prolonged use. A great feature of these is the “aware” mode. You push a button and you hear as if you were not wearing headphones. Push the button again, and you go into silence. Wonderful feature! These headphones also work with your smartphone, so you can use them to talk on the phone. This can be terrific if you need to talk on the phone in an open office setting.
One problem with noise cancelling headphones is that they provide almost no protection from sniffing. The frequency is too high. If you need to block sniffing, then try the noise isolating headphones like Etymotic Research noise isolating headphones.
I have tested all of the Bose headphones for their ability to block noise, and as far as I can tell, they are equivalent. So choose a Bose headphones based on the features they offer. They are all great.
In any case, you should also use a noise app to supply your favorite noise mix to your headphones. The combination of noise and these headphones can be a miracle for the person with misophonia.
Apple AirPods Pro
- Active noise cancellation for immersive sound.
- Transparency mode for hearing and connecting with the world around you.
- Three sizes of soft, tapered silicone tips for a customizable fit.
- Sweat and water resistant.
- Adaptive EQ automatically tunes music to the shape of your ear.
- Easy setup for all your Apple devices.
- Quick access to Siri by saying “Hey Siri”.
- The Wireless Charging Case delivers more than 24 hours of battery life.
Sony WI1000X Premium Noise Cancelling Wireless Behind-Neck In Ear Headphones (International version/seller warranty) (Black)
- Digital Noise Cancelling with Atmospheric Pressure Optimizing.
- Connect” APP for Android /iOS to use Smart Listening technology to control your ambient sound settings.
- Ambient Sound mode to hear essential sound without taking your headphones off.
- Battery life up to 10 hours (with wireless noise cancelling) / Hands free calling with vibration notification.
- Wired cable solution let you connect in-flight entertainment.
Bose Quietcontrol 30 Wireless Headphones, Noise Cancelling – Black
- Man-Made Materials
- Breakthrough technology lets you control your own level of noise cancellation throughout your day. Trouble shooting steps for poor or no noise cancelling: 1) Make sure the power is switched on. The power indicator should glow solid green. 2) Turn the headphone’s power off and then on again. 3) Charge the headphones. 4) Ensure the proper sized ear tips are being used. If a too small or too large ear tip is being used, the earbuds will not have a proper fit in the ear. As a result, audio quality and noise cancellation may suffer. 5) Be sure the ear tips and headphone openings are clean and free of debris.
- Bluetooth and NFC pairing so you can connect to your devices wirelessly
- Calls come in clearer, even in windy or noisy environments, with noise-rejecting dual-microphone system
- Lightweight neckband design conforms to your body for all-day comfort and wear ability
- Lithium-ion battery lets you enjoy up to 10 hours of wireless listening per charge
Sony Noise Cancelling Headphones WHXB900N: Wireless Bluetooth Over The Ear Headset with Mic for Phone-Call and Alexa Voice Control – Black (WH-XB900N/B)
- Feel the power of EXTRA BASS.
- Next-level digital noise cancelling technology.
- Enjoy the convenience of hands-free calling thanks to the integrated microphone and Bluetooth connectivity.
- Get up to 30 hours of battery life.
- Touch Sensor controls to pause play skip tracks control volume activate your voice assistant and answer phone calls.
- Quick Attention Mode for effortless conversations without taking your headphones off.
- Activate Alexa the Google Assistant or your voice assistant with a simple touch.
Bose QuietComfort 20 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones, Apple Devices, Black
- Noise cancelling reduces surrounding distractions, letting music stand out
- Aware mode lets you hear what’s around you when you need to, at the touch of a button
- Exclusive TriPort technology and Active EQ help deliver lifelike, digital-quality audio
- Stay Hear+ tips provide long-lasting comfort plus stability
Bose Noise Cancelling Wireless Bluetooth Headphones 700, with Alexa Voice Control, Black
- Keep your phone in your pocket and your head up to the world with easy access to voice assistants for music, navigation, weather, and more
- Turn any space into a workplace — with powerful noise cancelling, astonishing sound, unrivaled voice pickup
- Personalize your environment with 11 levels of noise cancelling control distractions or let ambient sound in
- Access Alexa with the push of a button, or use the wake up word
- Optimized for the Google Assistant; Access your voice assistant with a simple button press
- Listen comfortably for hours a streamlined, lightweight stainless steel headband and angled ear cups make for a perfect fit
- Get up to 20 hours of wireless battery life and time based power information
- Stay connected to the world without reaching for your phone; Intuitive touch controls on the ear cups keep everything simple
- Bose SimpleSync technology allows you to pair your Headphones 700 with the Bose Soundbar 500 or 700 for a personal listening experience
Sony Noise Cancelling Headphones WH1000XM3: Wireless Bluetooth Over the Ear Headset with Mic for phone-call and Alexa voice control – Industry Leading Active Noise Cancellation
- Digital Noise Canceling: Industry Leading Anc Lends a Personalized, Virtually Soundproof Experience. Phone Call: a built-in mic enables you to take hands-free calls.
- Voice Assistant: Alexa Enabled for Voice Access to Music, Information and More. Activate with a Simple Touch.
- Quick Attention Mode: Cover the Right Ear Cup to Turn Down Your Music for Instant, Easy Conversation.
- Smart Listening: Adjusts the Ambient Sound to Your Activity to Give You the Best Noise Cancellation.
- Touch Controls: Control Music Tracks and Volume, Activate Your Voice Assistant and Take Phone Calls.
- Long Battery Life: A Single Charge Provides Up to 30 Hrs of Playtime for Reliable All Day Listening.
- Comfortable to Wear: Ergonomically Redesigned Foldable Earphones for Easy Travel / Listening Comfort.
- In the Box: Foldable Headphone, Carry Case, Charging Cable and Audio Cable for a Wired Connection.